Interested in applying for our maritime studies programme in Grade 10 in 2019?
QUALIFYING CRITERIA FOR THOSE studying Grade 9 in 2018:
· The prospective applicant must be of the appropriate age for Grade 10, i.e. between 14 and 16 years on 1 January of the year that he/she will enter Grade 10.
· The prospective applicant must have a minimum of 60% pass in Mathematics, Natural Sciences and English in Grade 9 is required.
· A certified copy of the prospective applicant’s Grade 8 FULL YEAR report must be provided by March 2018 and a Term 2 report in JUNE 2018.
· Because of the high standards of discipline at the Lawhill Maritime Centre, the applicant must provide a behavioural and academic reference from his/her present school principal.
· An excellent behavioural record is a prerequisite for any new entrants to the Maritime Programme. The Centre is managed to provide a structured, disciplined, yet pleasant and stimulating experience for students. Strict control of students is enforced by the entire Lawhill team in the interests of maintaining a professional and safe environment. Any student found contravening the Code of Conduct of Lawhill will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.
· Proof of community involvement (e.g. sports clubs; church clubs; youth clubs, etc) is required.
· We also want to see enthusiasm, positive attitudes and initiative (We look for OOMPH!)
· Although we do not require a medical fitness certificate, we caution about the following ailments that will preclude a student from entering a sea-going career epilepsy; diabetes; poor vision and/or colour blindness; any form of physical disability.
All students wishing to study at Simon’s Town School’s Maritime Studies programme and to apply for a bursary to stay at the Lawhill Hostel (a private facility which receives no State funding) need to download and complete the EXPRESSION OF INTEREST form below:
- Please download and complete the form IN FULL and return it via EMAIL before the deadline date in order to be considered for a place.
- This is an EXPRESSION OF INTEREST form and not a formal application form.
- All those SHORTLISTED will be required to provide their GRADE 10 TERM 2 REPORT for further consideration and complete an OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM. Further contact will be made with qualifying students.
Please ensure you submit all the documents and complete the form in full.
The completed form must reach us via EMAIL before 22 March 2018.
This is the first step in the application process.
Interviews will be conducted with shortlisted candidates from June onwards.
Places to be confirmed by end of September. All those offered places will be required to complete an application form for Simons Town School. Failure to do so timeously will result in the place in boarding being offered to another student.
Please see our Facebook page for regular Lawhill news updates!